Power is all about being able to make things happen, I say. That doesnʼt always mean doing everything in your small business. Although, Iʼll admit to wearing a crushing number of hats during my years as self-employed, itʼs not a good look.
You know the drill. At first, you do everything out of passion and necessity. Itʼs easier to do it by yourself after a while because, gosh, what angel would get it, much less want to deal with, the mess that is known as your to-do list?
Elance providers thatʼs who.
Elance saves your time
Elance is a community of freelance workers who can provide just about any service your business might ever need. And, a number that youʼll just want because itʼs cool.
Like everyone else I read Tim Ferrissʼ book that describes how to design a portable, flexible business that supports your life style. While Iʼm not a fan of every bit of his philosophy (Iʼm not a sell everything I own kinda gal. Iʼm just not), he opened my eyes about outsourcing.
Sites like Elance and ODesk allow you to get through that enormous list of things you plan to do, or would like to do over, in a snap. In a professional way. Without fretting or exhausting yourself learning how to or the best way to do something you probably need twice. (Or something you do all the time and should be more consistent or effective at)
…And, calms your nerves
Thatʼs how I started outsourcing. I practically wore myself thin worrying about the tech side (and Iʼm a pretty geeky girl!) Now, I find the best person for me and the project, manage the project and boom- done. Done without weeks of hand-wringing, you can imagine how uplifting it can be to not only be finished, but to have a teammate to turn to for help in the future.
I like the simplicity of Elance and appreciate having the ability to put funds into an escrow account. Itʼs pretty straight-forward to set up a buyer account and submit a job. However, you want to have a little plan before posting. It can be a little daunting to have so many provides at so many price points to choose from.
Remember: Your provider is interviewing you, too!
There are over 1.3 million Elance providers of varying quality. Some great. Some, not so much. You can bet that the top providers can be picky about who they chose to send proposals to and accept for work.
You gotta stand out. (hmm, that sounds familiar). The most talented and highly rated providers are busy and can be selective.
You want to make a fabulous first impression so they respond your invitation to bid. These are my top strategies I use to make my projects irresistible to the best rated providers on Elance.
4 Ways you can attract the Best Talent on Elance
Know What You Want
- Know the particulars: what, when, why, your desired result and price, success criteria. Itʼs more fun to work with someone who has a vision or direction, right?
- Explain whatʼs cool, fun, different about your project or business. Let your personality show a bit. Weʼre all entrepreneurs- we love new & shiny!
- Avoid ʻdrowning man syndromeʼ- clutching too hard, too early to someone who feels great but might not be your best fit. Experienced providers like to know youʼre up for a long term relationship, but feel panicky when you seem desperate to push everything in their plate.
Be Ready to Start & Show It
- Browse related job postings to get an idea how your job would be described. What are popular requirements or conditions on the most highly rated jobs? Anticipate and try to have the 3 most helpful bits of information that provider would need ready to share. Donʼt know? Say youʼre open to suggestions!
Why this matters to you
Whatʼs the point of courting the top talent on an outsourcing site? Arenʼt those online people here today and gone tomorrow? Nope. There are loads of senior, experienced folks on bidding sites these days thanks to the great recession. Donʼt let your bias keep you from benefiting.
First, you get top-notch work and advice from reliable, creative professionals. Play your cards right and you surround your business with people who can transform it. Imagine all the game-changing ideas your new team will be able to share!
Second, you build one helluva home team to share with your clients. The best value we can give each other is more time. My clients love and rely on the fact that Iʼm gonna know the easiest and best way to make things happen! You can do the same.
Last but certainly not least, you want to attract the best on Elance because you get stuff done! Imagine your sales if you actually did half the great marketing advice youʼve already gotten!
Bonus tip: Thank everyone who bids but isnʼt chosen. Itʼs good manners, and acknowledgement is the glue that holds us together and the grease that makes things happen!
Latest posts by Tai Goodwin (see all)
- Guest Post: How to Outsource Labor and Effectively Grow Your Business – October 1, 2013
- Browseworthy: The Latest News on Outsourcing Resources [INFOGRAPHIC] – September 13, 2013
- Launch Talk Episode #78: Faith-Based Branding for Solopreneurs and Small Business Owners – September 12, 2013