People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. The people who get on in this world are they who get up and look for the circumstance they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them.
-George Bernard Shaw
Are you letting your situation dictate the vision for your life. Or are you redrawing the picture – working to make your situations line up with the vision?
If we know that blaming doesn’t change the situation, why do we play the blame game – attributing the reason for our lack of progress or failure to something or someone other than ourselves? Here are a few of the pay-offs or benefits we get when we blame:
We don’t have to do anything. As long as it is some other person’s fault or the action belongs to someone else – we don’t have to do anything. We are free to procrastinate, day dream, remain passive, etc…
- We don’t have to be responsible for the decision. Accountability is overrated anyway right?
- We get to avoid failure. If it is not our fault it is not our failure. And since we all know that failure is the worse thing that could ever happen we need to avoid that all together.
- We get the pleasure of judging, labeling and criticizing. Let’s be honest sometimes it feels really good to point a finger at someone else – it makes us feel like we are in control (even though we know we’re in the situation because taking control is what we failed to do.)
Blaming seems like a pretty cool deal until you take off the blinders and acknowledge the consequence: You never get what you really want.
Whatever you attribute your failure or lack of progress to, is the same thing or situation you are allowing to control your level of success. Your success (or failure) is not dependent on your circumstances – but the impact and influence of your circumstance is totally dependent on your mindset, beliefs and actions.
Challenge: Make a decision to invest the same energy and emotion that you use to blame your circumstances in creating the opportunity you want.
Latest posts by Tai Goodwin (see all)
- Guest Post: How to Outsource Labor and Effectively Grow Your Business – October 1, 2013
- Browseworthy: The Latest News on Outsourcing Resources [INFOGRAPHIC] – September 13, 2013
- Launch Talk Episode #78: Faith-Based Branding for Solopreneurs and Small Business Owners – September 12, 2013